Hospitality company InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) confirmed that some of its technology systems have been hit by an ‘unauthorised activity’.

The company, owner of Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza and Regent hotels, said on Tuesday (6 September) that its “booking channels and other applications” have been experiencing disruptions.

IHG, in a statement, said: “InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG or the company) reports that parts of the company’s technology systems have been subject to unauthorised activity.

“IHG’s booking channels and other applications have been significantly disrupted since yesterday, and this is ongoing.”

In response to the incident, the company has notified relevant regulatory authorities and is working with its technology suppliers.

In addition, IHG has consulted external specialists to investigate the matter.

The company added: “IHG is working to fully restore all systems as soon as possible and to assess the nature, extent and impact of the incident.

“We will be supporting hotel owners and operators as part of our response to the ongoing service disruption. IHG’s hotels are still able to operate and to take reservations directly.”

The company did not provide additional details on the incident including any loss of customer data or if it was a ransomware attack.

The attack comes after an Istanbul-based branch of IHG-owned Holiday Inn was attacked by LockBit ransomware operation last month, BBC reported.

However, there is no confirmation whether the two incidents are related.

IHG said that it will provide additional updates on the matter when appropriate.

In 2017, a payment card-stealing malware attacked the company, affecting about 1,200 of its hotels in the US.